This Friday (22nd Jan) campaigners across the globe will be celebrating the Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons entering into force, making nukes illegal under international law. Watch out for premier on the day of Bradford CND’s video appeal to the city council. As part of the strategy to bring our message to a wider audience, ICAN Partners in the UK will be taking to social media to create a Twitterstorm (an attempt to get a topic trending, so it reaches more people outside our usual networks).
- At 11am-1.30pm on 22nd January ICAN UK Partners will introduce the new #NukesOutUK hashtag which we will try to get trending via 2.5 hours of intensive activity. This can be used in combination with #nuclearban, which ICAN groups internationally will be using throughout the day.
- Don’t over use hashtags though, twitters guidance is that ‘One to two relevant hashtags per Tweet is the sweet spot’. Please tweet your own message of support during this time and retweet others’ messages as widely as possible.
- It is important that we do not use the #NukesOutUK in advance of 11am on the 22nd January – this is because Twitter looks for ‘hot topics’ and favours novel hashtags that have not previously appeared.
- There are already loads of shareable images, which we’ll continue to link below, but do also include your own photos of local action and video messages of support.
- If you’d like to have a go at creating your own ‘memes’, please do, ICAN have created a range of templates to get you started using Canva a simple online design tool – you’ll need to register for a free account. They’ve also included these useful instructions for getting started.